Sunday 5 August 2007

Week 26 (13/8 - 19/8)

What a boring start to the week. Monday and Tuesday ended up being the usual, mundane days. I'm being good again and taking in my packed lunches and we're just heading over to the student union (which they call the common room) and vegging on the couches. Have definitely settled into the new role. Seems to be quite easy (Aidan did say it was). Am still fairly bored, but oh well.

Fariha and I went off to see Les Miserables on Wednesday night. Had dinner at an Italian restaurant before going to the show. We thought we had good seats - but they weren't as good as initially thought. They were in the stalls, but along the side, so we had to lean forward and sit on angles to see. It was still good though (I was pleased that I've seen the show before, albeit in Invercargill). I have to say, the Invercargill versions (including the one Nick was in - that I saw on video) were very comparable to the West End version! Kudos to Invers! After the show, I heard this dumbass American woman going on about how the British should stop trying to copy American shows; that the "originals" are always better. She missed the point that this (and The Phantom) are British taken to America (and both are originally based on French novels!). DUMBASS.

Speaking of dumbasses. I jumped on the Picadilly line at Picadilly Circus - went one stop to Green Park and was going to change to the Victoria line to go home, when I realised the Victoria line is closing at 10pm these days. Damn it! I ended up walking home (which wasn't an issue, but I was just annoyed that I used the tube for a distance that I could've just as easily walked!).

On Thursday afternoon we had our "team building" day. The weather wasn't so good, so instead of the picnic in Hyde Park, we had lunch in the office, then had activities (DVDs, salsa dancing, cards, board games etc). The only good thing about the day was that we got to leave early...which I was going to do anyway. After work, I went up to Covent Garden for a drink and to meet my cousin, Julie, and her hubby (first time meeting him; first time seeing Julie in years, too). Had a couple of drinks with them - was good to do the catch up thing again (and keeps our mothers happy ;) haha).

Went to the pub for "a" drink after work on Friday. This ended up being several, before going to an Italian place nearby for dinner (which, unlike normal dinners after the pub, included more alcohol). We decided we wanted a McFlurry, so we walked from South Kensington up to Embankment and then milled around along the Thames.

Pottered around on Saturday - killing time really. In the evening I met up with Eva (old colleague from home) who was in town for the night on her way to Hungary. We went and had a drink and then she went to a salsa party (I went to the venue and waited in the queue with her, but there wasn't any chance of catching me at such a party! ;) ). Was good catching up with her - a reminder that anyone from home is welcome to give me a call if you're in these here parts ;)

Tamara arrived home from a few weeks in Mexico, Belize etc (you know, all those places that only a week or so later were hit by hurricanes!) on Saturday night, so we caught up and spent the day together on Sunday. Nothing exciting. Wandered around Southbank; went into the Tate Modern and had a nose around; went out for dinner. Was good seeing her again (and a great way to spend a Sunday).

Seeyabye

No comments: