Thursday 22 February 2007

Bloody tubes (19/2)

I have my day all mapped out. I carefully figured out where I was going and how I was to get there. I even had an alternative in case I changed my mind at the last minute. Problem! The two tube lines that I wanted to use were f**king closed due to some police investigation. Now, there was a spanner in the works if ever there was. I decided that it would just be easier to walk into town rather than try and figure out a different route. How wrong was I? Actually, I wasn't really wrong - it was easy walking into town...just that I ended up taking the longcut instead of the shortcut (this happens to me a lot I've noticed). I must learn not to be so stubborn and actually pull out the bloody A-Z when I'm completely and utterly lost (as I worked out I was). On the plus side, I found the Royal Albert Hall (that I wasn't looking for - and was actually closer to where I started from than where I intended to be). In the end I just kept walking around. After about an hour and a half I discovered that I must've been near some kind of tourist track as I saw a number of those Hop-on-Hop-off buses go past. Also, there seemed to be an increasing number of tourists. Why? Because I was near Buckingham Palace. Something must've been happening there as there were a large number of coppers about...and there was an open gate with a few cars about (it was then that I decided Lizzie must be busy so I didn't just pop my head in for a cuppa).

Managed to find my way into town, and find the HSBC branch I needed to go into - piece of piss really. Wandered around aimlessly. Popped my nose into a few stores (including an optometrist, just to get a feel for the price of contacts here - walked out pleased I have a couple of spare pairs now). Apart from a couple of cards and a frappucino, I didn't really buy anything.

Went back to the hotel - have Internet access in the room now, so that's good (only £15 for the week). Searched the 'net to see if there were any flats or jobs going for me. Sent off another few applications for jobs (I reckon this would be easier if a) I knew what I wanted to do in life and b) I had some kind of practical qualifications, not just airy-fairy theoretical ones). Oh, also topped up my mobile (life's so much easier when they at least give you something to start with!). Tomorrow's plans include calling that bloke about the possibility of some kind of job (won't hold my breath though), calling a bloke about viewing a flat (not really in an area I want, but never-the-less, it's cheap and looks fairly swish and is still within Zones 1 & 2), and go and explore another part of town (might even just ride the tubes to get familiar with where areas are).

Oh, yeah. The people over here are so bloody soft! I went out in jeans and a short-sleeved top today. Everyone else was wrapped up in big jackets, scarves, gloves, hats, the works. I didn't find it that cold - brisk at first, but not cold. It's supposed to rain today so I might take my raincoat with me - but not worry about all the heavy coats & shite.

That's right - mustn't forget that I got locked out of my room! Went down to get a paper from reception and came back to find that my keycard didn't work. Went back downstairs and enquired about it. Apparently they'd only loaded it for one night - not eight. Plonkers. I quite liked sitting in the reception reading the paper - except that I forgot that England isn't quite as smokefree as NZ, and a whole heap of Europeans came down and started lighting up - same in the restaurant. YUCK! Disgusting bloody habit ;)

End of another day.

Seeyabye

No comments: