Thursday 22 February 2007

Overcast, rain, hail, sunshine (21/2)

This all happened with about an hour of me going outside. The rain, moreso the hail, made me think I should really pop in and get a decent coat...but then the sun came out and made me see sense - I don't need one...yet.

When I was walking out of the Victoria station this morning I realised how quickly I've assimilated into the tube culture. Man, the number of blank, expressionless faces on the tube and walking around the stations and their vicinities is amazing. It's almost like a bad horror film with all these mindless zombies walking around...taking over the world - haha. Seriously, you really have to wonder whether people are just sitting in a wee world of their own or whether they're an empty mind sitting there, taking up space. The sad thing is that it's just so easy to do; to sit there and zone out. Oh, just while I think about it, some people shouldn't be allowed to stand in tubes - especially when they have bad B.O. Yuck, I was standing next to this guy this morning and there was this strong stench...then he got off at a stop and I discovered it was the woman beside him :s

Went to the National Portrait Gallery for a nose (never went there last time I was here). It was really interesting reading about the paintings - not so much looking at them, but finding out about methods, influences, events etc. Didn't think much of the more contemporary portraits, well, the early 20th century ones. The more modern ones I liked - the photos of celebs etc. Maybe there's a correlation between my likes and my knowledge of history? I loved the very early pieces, the Tudor Stuarts and such, but not the late 19th & early 20th century ones (we covered Elizabethan England in history, but not late 19th/early 20th century). Who knows. After today's wee excursion, I might go to the V&A tomorrow. Dunno. Tomorrow's another day altogether and I might just change my mind...

Called it quits early today. Decided to put more of an effort into looking for jobs (well, not really an effort, more throwing applications out there). Went back to the hotel around 3pm and jumped online. I think I applied for about 16 jobs - could've been more, but I was getting sick and tired of writing covering letters. They take a bit of thinking about at times, especially when I don't want to be thinking (I know, that's most of the time). There were some interesting sounding ones, including a project manager (education). Not really sure what the project is, but I threw my name into the ring anyway. How hard can it be to manage a project? They're using PRINCE2 - my thoughts exactly! WTF? That's what Google & Wikipedia are for - to learn quickly about things you know nothing about. The other good thing about this job is that it's a short-term contract one until the end of October...which coincides with when I go back to NZ. There were some other interesting sounding ones, but one that made me laugh was for a "graduate entry PA". They listed in their person specifications as essential having a minimum of 5+ years PA experience. Hmm. I'm guessing they're looking for someone who graduated either years ago or who has been working as PA while doing their studies. Oh well, how sad, nevermind.

Arranged to have a look at another flat tomorrow evening. This one actually had pics with the ad and looks OK. It's also a reasonable price (£550pcm). I've budgeted around £900-950pcm for rent, so this would leave me with a couple of bob spare. If this is the case then I'll try to send about 1/2 of the savings home each month - not a lot, but better than a boot up the arse.

Got the forms for the National Insurance Number today. Not much to them - have to get them sent off tomorrow with a couple of photocopies of my passport info. Easy-peasy. This has made me realise that I don't think I've actually seen a post office around on my travels. Haven't been looking for one, mind. Something new to investigate, I guess.

Bored with this now. Might go and find an online blog site to pop this up on.

Seeyabye

No comments: