Thursday 22 February 2007

I'm outta here (18/2)

Security in Auckland has stepped up since I last left there! That new rule about how much liquid you can take on a plane (which I thought they said kicked in at the end of March) is now being strictly enforced. I was right-royally pissed off. All I had was a tube of toothpaste and the bastards took it from me. It wasn't opened that long ago but because it was a 150g tube, it went. It meant that I couldn't clean my teeth properly on the flight. If they're going to enforce silly rules like that, why can't the airlines give out those free wee packs like they used to? (would save me bludging toothpaste from people sitting next to me!)

Flight from Auckland to LA was rather uneventful. Despite telling myself I wasn't going to sleep on it, I did...as did the rest of the plane. Mind you, it was something like 12 1/2 hours. I kept getting all screwed up with the time, so I just gave up and ignored it. Managed to watch a couple of movies - Flag Of Our Fathers and Marie Antoinette. The former wasn't too bad. A bit boring in places, but not bad as far as American war movies go. Marie Antoinette, on the otherhand, was boring from start to finish. The best part of it was Kirsten Dunst. It was so slow and, in my opinion, didn't really seem to have that much of a point to it.

It was quite cool coming into LA. Got to see the spread of the wee town (and the Hollywood sign). Beaut day there - just a shame we could only see it through windows ;) Being in transit kind of sucked a little. When we were herded off the plane, we had to line up to go through security. Apparently the only have one person on - so getting 200 or so of us through was going to be a loooong wait. Luckily for some of us who were right at the back of the queue, one of the immigration ladies took us down stairs to the main immigration desks where we could go through (and then right back up to the transit lounge - which was really just the boarding gate). At least I now have a stamp in my passport from the US ;) Waiting at the boarding gate wasn't so bad (would rather have been in the K-lounge though). They had free nibbles, fruit, and drinks (non-alcoholic) available for us. I ended up sitting with the lady who I sat beside for the whole trip from Auckland. She's a copper in London and we had a great time chatting about all sorts of things. She gave me a couple of tips that will hopefully serve me well (okay, I only remember the one about not using my mobile as I walk out of a tube station as that's the best time to have it nicked). She also told me not to use the Heathrow Express - just to use the tube. I think someone else had said that as well, but meh. It was a good suggestion as it meant that I was able to get my Oyster Card straight away (this is some pre-pay card that you load up and swipe instead of having those silly paper tickets all the time). It only cost 25 quid for a week's travel pass, so that's cheaper than I thought it would be. Anyhow, back to my story of the flight over... Tanya (the copper) and I decided we weren't going to sleep on the LA-London leg, instead we'd have a movie marathon and see who could watch the most movies. We both started off with the same one - Driving Lessons (with Julie Walters & Rupert Grint) and went from there. I also watched: Last King of Scotland (the Idi Amin one), The Queen (with Helen Mirren), one with Robin Williams who ends up as President-elect of the US - can't think of its title, The Marine (with John Cena - which turned out to be an OK movie considering I was expecting it to be completely shite), and School For Scoundrals (yawn). I don't think I've ever sat through so many movies at once!

Our flight was due to arrive in London at 1030, but ended up about 1050 (not too bad), then there was nearly 20 mins in a holding pattern above London, so we didn't actually touch down until about 1110. THEN we had to wait another 15 mins for the gate we were supposed to be using to be cleared. We didn't get off the plane until just after 1130. Went through immigration and had to explain to the chick what the Working Holidaymakers visa meant (protocol, she said). That was sweet - I think I cleared immigration quicker than last time I was here! Got my luggage and walked to the tube station. Let me tell you, carrying that 17kg suit carrier ended up being a real pain in the arse. Finally got to the tube station, got the Oyster Card and just made it onto the train that was leaving. Got off at Earl's Court and changed lines and then got off at Bayswater (where I would've got off had I taken the Heathrow Express, anyway - all this meant was that it was about 8 quid (I'm only saying quid 'cos it's a hassle trying to find the bloody pound sign all the time) and meant that I didn't have to walk as far when I changed to the District Line. When I got off at Bayswater, I realised I had to walk to the hotel. Out came the trusty A-Z (which Nicky gave me) and I worked out (sort of) where I had to go. It was a 10 minute walk (but would've been 5 had the street not been a stupid one that is actually two streets running parallel to each other - with me going down the wrong one first. Luckily there was some guy doing his study to be a cabbie and he helped me out). When I arrived at the hotel (around 1pm) I was expecting to leave my stuff (as check-in wasn't until 2pm) and then go into town for a bit. The guy at the desk said that they had prepared a room for me early since I was coming in from NZ (bloody decent of them if you ask me). Went up to the room. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be - especially the bathroom (actually, I might check this out - I'm sure I'm supposed to be in a room that *has* a bath and not just a shower). At the end of the day, it's only somewhere to store my stuff and to crash. And crash I did. Despite telling myself I wasn't going to, I ended up falling asleep around 3pm (waking up at midnight...hence typing this up now as I hope I'll be able to get back to sleep shortly!) - the bed is so bloody comfortable; it's great. Oh, must also question the front desk about room security, as I was woken up by a lady who thought this was her room...she used her keycard to open my door!

Today's plan is to head into town to open my bank account and to get a top up card for my phone (since the new sim card didn't come with anything on it - at least in NZ Vodaphone gives you $5 on it to start with). Then I think I'll re-familiarise myself with town and start the job/accommodation hunt in earnest tomorrow.

So, that's it. The first day in London (and I spend it sleeping! What a waste, huh). Oh, in terms of weather, it was quite overcast, but it wasn't cold. About 10deg I think they said on the plane (mind you, I was inside for most of it - except walking to the hotel). Just realised I've slept with the window slightly open too. It's all good!

Seeyabye

No comments: