Friday 23 February 2007

Oh, arsemonkies (22/2)

Tomorrow is my birthday. I've had this wee discussion with one of my sisters, who shall remain nameless (happy Jocelyn?), about when my birthday is. She tried to inform me that it was today...because today is tomorrow in NZ...or today is yesterday in the UK if you're in NZ...whichever hurts your head the least (they both hurt mine, which just proves that I'm right no matter what and you'd just be wasting your breath arguing with me because I'm not likely to concede the point). Where was I? Oh, yeah. So, Joss (the previously unnamed sister) thinks that she should say happy birthday to me. I corrected her, reminding her that it's only the 22nd here today. Point of this story? There isn't really one, I'm just typing what comes into my head at the time (a very scary thought indeed).

I think I'm quite comfortable with living here now, although I am beginning to wonder whether there are any native English speakers in this city - everyone seems to be a tourist! That said, people must think I live here (well, I do now, but that's not quite what I meant). I am sick and tired of people asking me where such-and-such is, or how to get from A to B. Read a map, people! God knows even a three year old would be better at it than me! This one lady, English I might add, asked me where some street was...I had no idea, so I told her "Not sure, sorry. I only just arrived here yesterday", a little white lie I know, but tough! In the end I did try to help her. Got out the trusty A-Z and worked out that the street she was looking for wasn't anywhere near where she was told it was, but she was adament it should be (yeah, because the A-Z changes the locations of streets for fun...haha, that would be funny). Digressing ever so slightly from this story, I've also found that having a non-Pommy accent really helps at times! Like in the Post Shop...they were trying to sell me some kind of lottery ticket linked into a credit card with 0% interest or some bollocks like that. I just said I was only here for a couple of weeks and the lady apologised and wished me a very enjoyable stay. Gotta love it. Have now used it twice. HA! Why was I in the Post Shop? Oh, I had to send off my application for the National Insurance Number thing. The postal system here is confusing (what I mean is don't go expecting any letters or cards or things - though I guess I should write to my mother, who decided that she didn't want to use the computer...little does she know how much I dislike her for doing that to me. I now have to physically put pen to paper..or phone. Phoning's much easier. Solved!).

Pottered around. Looked at a couple of flats. One I really liked, the neighbourhood was OK (not that I have a lot to compare with, but I felt safe wandering around about 9pm in the dark). Going to think about this one and look at another couple (this may be my "fall back" option if it's still available). I think I'm now starting to stress out about not having anywhere to live from Monday morning! Did a big flat hunt online before. There are heaps of flats, but not really where I want them (not that I really have any bloody idea - I think it's more a case of not knowing the areas they say they're in...). Have a list of places to call in the morning - that will be my first task du jour I think.

Tired now.

Seeyabye

No comments: