Thursday 22 February 2007

Tuesday...the second day of the working week (20/2)

Not that I'm actually working yet. God, I'd better get a job soon. It's nearly been two whole months since I worked. I'm not liking this whole unemployment lark. Not because I love working, but because I could get used to the whole not doing anything all day. As others will agree, this is bad for the self esteem. "Am I not able to get a job?" "What's wrong with me?" "Maybe I should've done a *real* degree and not a BA?" Or, the reality of the situation: "I can't be arsed doing anything, so I won't because you can't make me!".

So, opened the letter for my debit (EFTPOS) card PIN. Some things are quite backwards here, well, compared to home. They issue you with a PIN (ok, you can change it yourself at an ATM rather than having to go into a branch). My problem with this is that when I opened my letter (getting back to the point) to see what my PIN was all I got was a blank. Grr. As I was heading into town anyway I figured I'd just pop into the branch and get them to put one on for me. Nope. Doesn't work that way. A new PIN has to be issued...by post, no less. What's worse is that it'll take a week to post it out. Jaysus, Mary & Joseph! But wait - if it's sent to the branch it'll only take three days. Gimme a break! Cutting a long story short, I'm going into the branch on Friday to pick it up (and may as well change it to something else while I'm there). The Regent St branch of HSBC is well staffed - I had to wait to see someone about all this (you get a ticket with a number on it and wait until your number's called...not your number's up ;) ). The wee piece of paper gives you an indication of the waiting time. Mine said 20-30mins (not a happy camper!). God I can be impatient at times ;) Fortunately, I only had to wait about 10mins.

Went into the National Gallery again - I <3 that place. So many amazingly old and beautiful works of art there. I limited myself to an hour there (so that I can keep going back!). There's an exhibition on that I want to have a look at - Renoir Landscapes - might go to that on Friday as a wee birthday treat to myself. Popped into Pret for lunch today. Mmm, I forgot how much I love their sandwiches.

Continued with my getting off the tube at random stops, wandering around a wee bit, then getting on to go somewhere else. This is actually quite fun. Maybe I should see if the TFL want to pay me to do that for a few months. I could write up reports on the state of the trains & stations, and what's happening around stations. Maybe I could just do it anyway and write a book on the experience of tube surfing. Hmm, on second thoughts, that would require having to think about what to say - I'm not good with the whole thinking lark. Back to the drawing board... Hey! I've just worked out my problem! I know for a fact that I'm closer to being autistic than artistic, but yet I always seem to go back to that drawing board! Maybe if I went somewhere else I might get ahead ;)

Had a look at a couple of flats today. Very unimpressed with them. In my world, if you're trying to let a room in a flat, you at least clean the place a bit first - leave the mess until the sap moves in. One place was a right dump outside...and worse inside (and this was the tidiest of the two flats!). I'd almost think it was a squat, not a flat. I guess I just have to remind myself that I'm not going to get anything like what I left in Dunedin! Oh well. Never to be minding. Something will crop up. If I have to, I'll take the last place I look at over the weekend (given I leave the hotel on Monday morning, doubt I have much choice as I don't fancy living out of my suitcase for much longer...too much hassle). Don't get me wrong - I'm loving the place in spite of not having anywhere to live yet. Haha - having joked about it, I might almost *have* to resort to pitching a tent in Hyde Park. I don't see why the authorities should have any kind of problem with that; it's not like they're short of space or anything (I wouldn't take up much, anyway).

I'm not doing too bad at jotting down wee notes...at the moment. Whether this will even last a week, who knows. We shall just take it one day at a time.

Seeyabye

No comments: