Sunday 1 April 2007

Bugger me! (29/3)

The meaning of life: to frustrate ME as much as possible. Things are ticking along nicely, thank you. No major catastrophes. Health's on the up again (yay). Rent's not yet paid - dumbass banking system that's too complicated for me to figure out (okay read as: I'm too impatient to read things and they don't work like the ANZ's system does). So, yeah. Life as normal.

Had a ... day at work today. Really, the last two days have been an absolute waste of time. Seriously! Today was worse than yesterday (and tomorrow's not looking much better!). I am so bored senseless! The sad thing is that they think they've given me enough to go on with...and haven't thought of anything more for me to do. Apparently next week I get shared with the examinations team. One consolation about working here, I've decided, is that at least I'm getting excellent experience to transfer to almost *any* university department (should I want to work in a university again, that is ;) ) - timetabling, examinations, marketing added to what I did at Otago. Great! Where was I going before side-tracking myself? Oh, yeah. Sharing me about. I'm looking forward to that - the examinations team's a hard case lot (they were the bulk of the group I went out to lunch with last week). The only real things done today were 2 meetings (both of which were an absolute waste of time, but given I was only playing online, I won't complain). Went out to lunch with the...erm...actually, I don't know what team this lot is really - maybe the Student Services team? Yeah, that's them! And the office administrator. Had a good laugh again. The afternoon was just as boring as the morning. Though, in saying that, I have started a job that they're thinking of getting a temp in to do (that I could do...but I think they're looking at paying someone around the £5-7/hr mark...but even though I'm paid more than that, I'd still be saving them money by doing it as they've just paid me pretty much a week to do S.F.A). We shall see. Had a lot of laughs after lunch. We were trying to decide where to go for drinks tomorrow night. Someone suggested somewhere; someone else pooh-poohed that idea and so the cirle went. Then they asked me where we could go. ME! I laughed and told them they had to be kidding! The only name of a place I could think of was the Walkabout - the poms all groaned and the Aussies cheered. But we're not going there. To be honest, I don't know where we're going. Think the plan is to leave work and head into town.

The exciting, but at the same time somewhat depressing, news of the day is that I was offered a permanent job! Whoo. In Sydney (there had to be a catch). Were it not for the fact that I've maxed out my UK credit card (so need to earn the £s to pay it back) and signed on for an 8 month lease, I might've considered it. Upon first skimming of it, I thought it was like one I'd had from this guy before "we would like you to apply for ...", but nope - it was "We would like to offer you the following...". Cool, huh! I was stoked, but they wanted me to start on Monday. Umm, yeah - nope, not a happening thing, sorry. They can be forgiven, however. They thought I was still in NZ. If I was, I might've seriously considered it ($55k plus benefits). I sent a wee reply saying thanks, but no thanks and asked them to keep me in mind for anything that crops up towards the end of October/start of November. Murphy's bloody law. They couldn't have offered it to me while I was still in Dunedin, before I booked tickets over here? Grr (but in a good way :) ).

Came home and picked up my mail. Nothing exciting - the National Insurance Number card (huh? I've thrown it into the cupboard), and the payslip for last week telling me how much I'm going to get paid. Umm, something didn't look quite right. Bugger me! They're only paying me £9.50 for last week. I got on the blower (to no avail) and then the email to sort this out. Even resorted to "I have it in writing...". On top of the £40 (net) a week I lose by thinking I'd be working a 40hr week, I also just lost another about £45 (net) by them cocking things up! Okay, so I've just been emailed and told that "if [I'm] right" (not happy about the "if", I *know*) then that'll be added to my pay next week. Okay. Mountain and mole-hill stuff really - my rent for the month's sorted, so it's not like I can't wait the extra week (just under - get paid on Thursday next week 'cos of Easter *spits*) for the £45... By then it could be more beneficial as my limited company thing will be running (I hope).

Seeyabye

No comments: