Wednesday 14 March 2007

Another week down (2/3)

Well, it's Friday again. Just on two weeks since I arrived and still no job! I am sick to death of not working. Figured that I'd go for a walk around St James's Park so wandered over there. Was just going through Queen Anne's gate (opposite the park) when my phone rang. It was the lady from the temp agency asking if I wanted a day's work. Did I what! I had half an hour to figure out how to get from where I was to their office. Turned out not to be so bad as I was only a couple of steps away from St James's station (circle line - whoo!). Also, luckily for me I'd thrown on some tidy clothes and not just a pair of jeans & a tee-shirt! Job was just some admin work (typing, copying, binding) at a Surveyor's office (£10/hr). Got there and was given a report to type up. The guy I was supposed to work for was at a meeting and needed it started by the time he got back. After about just on an hour it was finished and I wanted something else to do... Was quite a good wee place to work. The guy was surprised when I said that I could transcribe (okay, took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to use the digital system they had, but that was fine). Typed a few letters and such. All very piss easy stuff - although not knowing the lingo of the office I had to ask a few questions (especially to do with the more technical side of things), and there were a couple of times when, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't figure out what a word was on the dictaphone (just a wee dialect issue). Only thing now is that I really, more than before, want to get stuck into some real work! Was there for about 6 hours - £60 (less tax, whatever that is here). Good start to the £740 rent I have to pay at the end of the month ;) Shite, must fax the timesheet off today - will see if the Internet cafe has a fax.

I have to say, it was strange working in the "real world" and not the university. I don't know, there was quite a different feel to things. The university was very relaxed, but there's this...air...about it that I never sensed in this office (sure, it was only for a couple of hours, but still...). All going well more work will come in soon :)
Temping is an odd feeling. Walking in, knowing you're only there for the day, and doing what you have to before you leave. A couple of jobs I had to leave part-finished. I didn't like that as I felt I should see them right through. Nevermind, I'll get over that feeling sooner rather than later. That reminds me, walking out of this office wasn't as easy as one might think. I got bloody lost in all the corridors! Luckily one of the blokes I was working with was behind me and pointed me in the right direction. Turns out I was taken upstairs a different way than what I came down. See - geographically challenged (I didn't think I remembered the courtyard on the way up!). Once I finally left, I had to try to figure out the way back to the tube. Done! Without the A-Z! Got on the tube and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about peak-hour... Well, that was until I got to Kings Cross St. Pancreas. Talk about sardines in a can! Not that I eat canned sardines, but I'd be picking that even they have more room than what I had. No such thing as personal space in the tube at rush-hour ;)

Kinda thought that I'd be more knackered by the time I got home than what I was, especially seeing as how I haven't done a full day's work since...the last time. I guess going for my long walks etc (y'know, that exercise stuff they say is supposed to be good for you) has helped in that respect. Also, the work wasn't that taxing on the mind. This may sound extremely sad (you don't need to comment) but I enjoyed doing the transcription - I reckon the fact that they were only short letters and not 30min+ interviews might've had something to do with that ;)

Tomorrow I might just try and pop these up online when I go to the Internet cafe. Must be about a week behind - but fear not, I am doing them daily (that I've lasted nearly two weeks is just about world record material!).

Seeyabye

PS: The comment about world record material made me think of an ad I saw on the tube. It was for some men's health stuff (muscle builder? Dunno. Didn't pay *that* much attention to it). They used "World Champion swimmer [obviously some Pommy swimmer]" to endorse it. Since when did the Pom's have world champion swimmers? Made me laugh anyway.

No comments: