Wednesday 14 March 2007

Knackered! (not literally - thank God!) (13/3)

Have been thinking about doing some travelling. Obviously, until I get a more regular income, this ain't gonna be much of a happening thing, but it's not going to stop me thinking about it. I have to think of all the places I want to go. Might just consider the next few months as my "sampler" travels. A weekend in Paris; Rome; Athens; Venice; Amsterdam; Copenhagen - maybe go up to Scandinavia somewhere & to Egypt (depending on time/costs etc). Nic & I are hopefully going to do a week in Turkey (maybe returning via Berlin - I want to go & find a WW2 grave there, Mum's uncle Phil's). I also want to pick up some art while I'm over in Europe...maybe I won't be sending as much money home as first thought ;) Of course, I also want to see the sights of the UK - but that's sort of down the list (not Scotland, but bits of England & Wales). Plus there's a return trip to Ireland with my name on it. They've been advertising cheap flights to Cork & Shannon - Cork sounds alright. We shall see. What I might do is pop all the places I want to go to for weekends into a hat and randomly choose one each couple of weeks or something like that. That'd be fun. I'd prioritise them - but that would be too hard...would I want to go to Rome before Athens or Paris or ...

Just realised - these entries are all about me. Just goes to show that the world really *does* revolve around me! HA! And am I looking at all concerned? I don't think so ;)

So. Went to work today. Just a temp job, nothing 'xciting or permanent. Was only supposed to be for 4-5 hours, but ended up being for 8 (10am-6pm). I had a few minutes off for a lunch break, but was actually enjoying doing what I was doing. The woman in charge of me was, again, surprised when I gave her what she'd given me back and asked for more. I almost felt like wee Oliver Twist (except a bit bigger). It was fun - working on a conference programme and other conference-related stuff. This bird, Sarah, thought all her prayers had been answered when I said I'd been on a national conference organising committee and had worked on the programme. She dumped this HUGE ringbinder of abstracts on my desk and in under a minute explained what she wanted done. Three hours later, it was done. Piss easy. By the end of the day, though, shite I was knackered! Sarah said that if they need anymore help that she'll be asking for me by name (if I'm available). Being the professional that I am (haha), I turned my phone on silent so I wasn't being distracted...missed three calls from recruitment agents! Damn being professional! One was the one with the 3-month contract as a data analyst. Don't know what the story is as by the time I remembered my phone it was 8pm! Another one was from the crowd that got me today's work. Apparently they have a possible 3 month contract as a PhD Administrator at "one of the UK's top top universities" (uh huh - if it's one of the top top ones, why does the woman think that I'd be happy on "hopefully up to £10/hr" when the other one is between £12-14/hr). I'm not going to turn my nose up at it though, well, not if the other one doesn't come through! The third one was just saying they'd received my CV and were very impressed and would give me a call if anything appropriate came up. Wasn't that exciting - you now know what all my calls were about ;)

Here's a wee story for you. I felt like mashed spuds for dinner tonight, so popped into Sainsburys on the way home. Happened to pass the "instant potatoes" that "taste just like potatoes should". What a crock of utter shit! They taste nothing like spuds! Disgusting. Never will I be *that* stupid again! I had one mouthful and couldn't even keep it down - spat it up straight away (there's an image I know you wanted, yeah). That's all - no sconing myself on the head tonight. Just a bad experience with instant spuds.

Seeyabye

No comments: