Wednesday 14 March 2007

Day one in the new digs (27/2)

Got up & had a shower. Might have to see if it can be fixed. It's not *that* bad, but instead of coming out in a spray like most showers (and like it should) it sort of comes out in a dribble (a decent one). Explored again - needed to get a few things for the flat (mainly some groceries). Managed to find the local Sainsbury's (and the Tescos Metro - for the sake of a couple of extra steps, I think I'll just use Sainsburys). They do sell kitchen stuff there, but I didn't quite fancy paying £8 for a pot. Hopefully there's a K-Mart/Warehouse type store around. Need to get a few other things for the flat as well. Some linen wouldn't go astray. Luckily there were a couple of pillows and a duvet left here, so that'll save a couple of quid. Will just get a cheap sheet/duvet set at some point (sooner rather than later). It's a pain not having any pots & pans, but at least there are glasses and cutlery (and a couple of plates - enough for one). Funniest thing ever (well, not really, but had to start off with something). Bought some tea bags to make a cuppa...no bloody mugs though. Oh well. I didn't really want that cuppa anyway. Was a bit odd wandering around the supermarket. It's not like Countdown or New World. Things are in odd places and, not helping matters, I didn't know what I wanted to get in the first place (short of the absolute basics). Called BT (I presume that stands for British Telecom - not sure) to get the phone line jacked up. Grr. They couldn't find a flat 14 on their records so they have to send out a techie. If no phone has been connected here before (there's a jack point, so I don't think that's the case, besides the property agents said there had been) it'll cost £125 to get one connected. They can go get knotted! If there has been one, then it'll only take a few minutes to sort out. Then I'll have to wait for a couple of days to get the Internet connected. Am very tempted just to knock on one of the neighbours doors to see if we can split the cost of the Internet. I don't really want a phone - I'm going to sign up for Skypeout (to use my computer as the phone). It only costs something like 2p/min to call a NZ or AU landline (compared with 3p on the BT plan I said I'd sign up for...ohhh). The most important thing in my life at the mo' is getting the Internet!

Anyhow, just milled around for most of the day. Read a bloody hilarious book ("Anonymous Lawyer" - about a hiring lawyer in a big firm who starts up an anonymous blog about the folks he works with etc). Bought it to read on the tube, but have finished it now. I reckon you'd like it, Nic. The one thing I reckon that'll kill me about this flat is that I can't move anything around! Not enough room to move the bed, & the table's fixed to the wall. *sigh* ;) Once I have a job it won't matter :)

Seeyabye

No comments: