Wednesday 14 March 2007

A day of (self) learning (10/3)

I did done do some learnin' today. About myself even. Turns out I might have an addictive personality. Yep. I'm addicted to myself ;) haha. Nah, seriously though. I thought I'd have a couple of games of solitaire before buggering off to do something. This was around 10am, so that's fair enough. Yeah, well, unfortunately I was involved in a slight losing streak and my success rate took a plummet (not that it was high, mind you - around 49%). It dropped to 45%. I learned that I can be determined at times... I wasn't giving up until I'd lifted the success rate to at least what it was when I started. Next thing I know it's 3pm! I was wondering why I was feeling a bit thirsty & peckish. Hmm. I only got the success rate back to 48%, but that's much better than 45%! Oh dear. What a waste of a bloody day.

Talking about a waste of a day - well no, not really. Anyhow, before I digress right off the beaten track and not recall what shite I was about to write... I have a reasonably new (2 point something months) PhD supervisor...and he's cracking the whip (when he remembers - a bit like me in that respect - haha). I'm supposed to have done some stuff for him (that I have looked at - just gone no further than that), so I did some of it after playing solitare (a good distraction from that stupid game). I planned to do the whole lot in one sitting but, me being me, I managed to side-track myself onto something else. I don't like having just one ball up in the air at any given time ;) I just spent (and if only you could see the look on my face thinking about it) three f***king hours working out the Elley-Irving Socio-Economic Index categories for the parents in my study. I thought this would be a nice, simple task. It was for some, but then others it was bloody hard. I lost count of how many times I read through the list of nearly 600 different occupations to see which one most resembled the occupation given by the parent. It's by no means perfect, but then I challenge *you* to do it. I do have to concede, however, this is one time when I'm pleased that I had a lower than anticipated response rate :) It's done now, so I'm a happy little (!?!) camper again. I'd love for the distributions (or whatever you want to call them) to come back similar to what Elley & Irving had. That would mean I'd have a somewhat representative sample (or something like that - keep me happy by nodding in agreement ;) ). I'm starting to feel good about this PhD thing again (they do say it's like one big roller coaster ride!). I've told Jeff that I'll get him some kind of draft by the end of June (of course, what *I* call a draft and what *he* calls a draft could be two totally different beasts). It's all good! Tomorrow I'm going to sit down (well, lie down on the floor) and read & summarise articles. I've decided that I really miss not having all the printed copies - having the electronic ones was good in theory... Ahh, hindsight. Gotta love it. At this stage, since I don't know whether I'll come back after October, I'm not going to get the Ol' Girl to post me stuff (besides which, I think I've already forgotten how I organised it - it was logical at the time...).

Having brought my external hard drive with me was the best idea in the world! I have ALL my music (plus Bee's stuff that she kindly left on it for me :) ). HEAPS to choose from, maybe a wee bit too much choice at times, but it's good to be in that situation. And now I've sussed out how to put them onto my phone, life is bloody fantastic - music-wise, that is :)

Was doing some thinking while pottering around (doing dishes) this morning. There's all this stuff that I feel I need to buy for the flat that I think I'm either only going to get if it's dirt cheap, or not bother about getting at all. Why, I hear you ask. Well, what's the point in wasting money (that I don't actually have at this moment in time) on stuff that I'm just going to turn around and possibly get rid of in 8 months time (almost 7 1/2 now, but who's counting?). I'll get the basics (iron, pots & pans, and linen), but things like a chest of drawers (it was only going to be a small one - I live on the 114th floor, remember! ;) ) and stuff I don't need (the phone's happy on the floor, as will the broadband modem & phone). That was just a thought I had, anyway. (I have to put them down otherwise there wouldn't be anything for you to read, would there ;) ).

Hmm...tomorrow I'll get up early & do my laundry (hopefully there will be a free machine) and then work on my PhD & stuff for Jeff in the morning. Might go to the Internet cafe in the afternoon, and then spend the rest of the day back on the PhD stuff. That sounds like a bloody good plan to me! Hopefully once I get a job I can get into a routine of spending Weds nights working on my PhD (if not Weds, then one night a week). I wouldn't mind going to the gym (haha - can you imagine *that*! Me. Gym. Must. Stop. Laughing. Sides. Sore.) or something "fitness-y" - maybe just a walk around the park each night. Actually, that almost sounds do-able (lets not put money on how long it lasts though...). *Sigh* just writing utter bollocks now. Might go and cook something for dinner (since it's nearly bedtime!).

Seeyabye

No comments: