Wednesday 21 March 2007

Happy 15th, Grayson (20/3)

Okay, so by the time this goes up, like with everyone else, your birthday will have faded into the distant past. The thought was there (and I did send a text message).

What a start to the day today - I was as disoriented as...a disoriented person! I went to stand up from the computer and go to the sink. Up, left turn, take a step and there. Not today. Up, right turn, into the leg of the couch. Try again. This time a left turn, but back to where I started. Finally got to face the bench and instead of walking to the sink, walked to the wardrobe. Arrgh. Not with it. I blame wearing ties. As soon as I'm dressed (about an hour before I leave) I'm putting the stupid things on (just to get used to them). It may sound corny, but the only knot I know how to tie is the quick 'school' one mum taught me when I went to high school. Luckily my friend, the Internet, has step-by-step instructions. I can now (sitting in front of the computer in the mornings) do different ones (here's hoping I don't have to take the tie off for any reason during the day!).

Work was ho-hum. As a wise person said to me, my task was like trying to fit square pegs into round holes. I am trying to work out a timetable that works for a programme. So far, out of 38 weeks, I have successfully sorted out one week, with three weeks that have a couple of clashes (that I'm assured should be able to be rectified). It's not the easiest job this. I'd almost go as far as to say it's the most challenging I've had! Especially when someone emails me and I have no idea what they're on about and five minutes later they email me again asking why I haven't replied to their earlier email! Hells bells! What's worse - this is for the next academic year that starts in September! I pretty much just sat at my desk wondering what the hell I was doing. That said, once things started falling into place, it was fine. I'm going to go in early tomorrow morning and see if I can sort out one particular challenge (or at the very least preempt a possible change that may occur...).

On my way home I stopped off and picked up an iron & duvet cover (and a couple of other things). I was thinking that I had done alright - only £80 worth...but then I did the stupid thing. I converted it into $NZ. I wasn't going to, but seeing as how I put it on my NZ credit card, I thought I should. Any notion of me doing good, compared to home prices, flew out the window. The iron was only £10, but I paid £45 for a duvet "set" (that contained a duvet cover and packaging...what the "set" entailed, I'm not quite sure, but I think packaging IS included). Oh well. Stuff I needed...shame I couldn't afford to put them on my UK accounts. That's something else I'd completely forgotten about! Easter! I don't get paid over Easter! Damn it all! Public holidays, while fine for those in permanent positions, suck! (Yes, I know, this is somewhat of a hypocritical statement coming from someone who (when in a permanent-y position) wanted more of them ;)

That's it. Another day down...only a week until I have to pay rent again. Hmm, now I've lost £40/wk things might just be a wee bit tougher than first planned (this is until I get the Limited Company sorted out, then I'll be getting a wee bit more in hand - but still less than what I was banking on). That reminds me. If I am lucky enough to get the Health & Safety Officer position, I can't set up the Limited Company as the recruitment crowd there doesn't work with them. Bugger - could've netted me a few extra quid. As it stands, at £14/hr I will most likely get around the £370/wk in hand (compared to the £295/wk I will get for this week!). Really, as long as there's enough to pay rent, pay bills back home, get my travel pass, and eat/drink, I shouldn't complain too much. Many people have much less than that (but *they* don't have the same debts as me - haha).

Just while I think of it. The weather here sucks! It was bloody freezing today. I am not impressed. I had nearly a month of beaut weather and now this! To rub more salt in the wound, as I was walking home it started bloody well snowing! SNOW! In March? That's not what I'm used to! Yesterday there was a bit of hail - today snow. What should I expect tomorrow? It wouldn't have been so bad had I not been walking from Victoria Street (about 10 minutes away). If I'd come from Pimlico Station, I would've been fine. Typical - the day that I go in and pick stuff up from the shops. The bags were soaked; the box that the iron was in was just as bad. And then there was me...my black jacket & trousers were nearly white! My backpack was soaked (including some of the contents in it). I was not a happy camper (and definitely not a dry one at that!). The forecast for the next couple of days isn't the flashest (sunny tomorrow, but only a high of 7). Friday's going to be wet, but a high of 10 (let's keep the double digits alive, people!).

Okay: I've shown my stupidity and moaned about my day & money - that should be enough for today I feel.

Seeyabye

PS: luckily I wasn't tested on names...unfortunately, I met more people today :s Too many names for my wee brain to contend with!

No comments: