Wednesday 14 March 2007

Monday, Monday. Can't trust that day (5/3)

(It's getting harder and harder to think of a subject for these silly entries now - could be competition time: email me some possibilities and the first one I use will receive a free surprise (well, I couldn't very well ask you to pay for it, could I!) from me - all the way from London!).

Got up. Got dressed up in case I got called in for a temp job. Then lamented my absolute boredom. How I miss the Internet! Went down to the Internet cafe for a couple of hours. No sooner had I parked my rump in a chair then my phone did ring. 'Twas a lady from another recruitment crowd. I'd apparently applied for a job through them over the weekend (uh huh, one of many...) and I wasn't suitable for it (uh huh, like *that* narrows it down...) BUT, in her words (please add an Australian accent), "I'm not letting your CV go - it's the best I've seen in a while". Now, how was that for a boost to my ego (like it's not already big enough ;) ). Just what I'd wanted to hear. We arranged a meeting at 3pm (she doesn't normally do same day meetings - so she told me...bet she says that to *all* the applicants). She emailed me directions (and I thought I gave bad directions - hers might've got me there, but I reckon the A-Z was a safer bet). Arrived way too early (just the way I like it), so strolled around Covent Gardens. Watched another street performer (Nick - you could make a bloody mint just being yourself here! This wacko was getting shrapnel to £20 notes!). Can't remember if I wrote about the last guy, but he was ace! (Can't remember what he did - oh, yeah - guess you had to be there though). All of a sudden, all the time I had up my sleeve vanished. Into thin air. Just like magic. I ambled (can you see I'm getting sick of using "wandered" and looking for alternatives today) around to the agency. Was buzzed up and talk about being treated like royalty! I think the lady was a bit OTT in her eagerness (I was introduced to the other 3 in the office as "Phil - the bloke with the great CV I told you about!" (did you remember the Australian accent?). Shame to the max! Did our thing - hopefully I might have work starting Weds, if not she's going to see what she can do for me. A bit of a 'recruiters party line' going on, but who cares - so long as I get some bloody work. Seriously, she was such a hard case - especially when I told her I'd finished filling out the forms and she reminded me there were 6 pages of them. "I wouldn't have told you I'd finished if I hadn't worked that one out", said I (quite annoyed, but hopefully not showing it). Apparently, because there was a "spelling test" (pick the correct spelling of a word: genuwine - genuine - gennuine - gennuin), the forms take most people at least 20+ minutes to fill out. I was done in 5 (I hope I did done good with the speling...). I think going into these interviews is good for me. I'm not getting as 'worked up' and nervous as I normally do. Long may this continue! That's right, I'd mentioned I'd had one day temping on Friday. Apparently this is good because I've now had "experience" and that can be used to sell me to clients. Talk about shit-spinning. Now it's a matter of sitting with my fingers crossed - wait - they seem to be permanently crossed. You know what I'm meaning though.

AHH! I haven't told you about my exciting day yesterday, I mean I told you about what happened, but not *this*. I figured out how to fold the bed into the couch. Amazing stuff - only took me all of 30 seconds. BUT WAIT, there's more! I started getting heat out of the radiator! Amazing stuff. Only thing with the heater is that the heat vanished again overnight (despite being turned right up). I'm picking that this was only to taunt me...there was only heat up to about 1/16th (maybe 1/8th - I'm not good at guessing these things) of the radiator (from the bottom, obviously).

On the way home from the tube (sidetrack: tried my PIN on my debit/EFTPOS card today (first time) and it worked) I was zoning out (as normal) looking up at the buildings (there are some ugly ones around the tube station) and I saw a word and felt like a little kid in a candy store (no, it wasn't "candy"). The Pimlico Library. Right on my doorstep! How very, very exciting (if you're me). It means that I won't have to go out and buy tonnes of books and ship them to mum's (I can just hear that sigh of relief from Bluff!). Might go and sign up tomorrow afternoon (depending on what time the BT man turns up...more to the point, depending on whether I remember or not!).

Seeyabye

No comments: