Tuesday 20 March 2007

Whoo - first day at work (19/3)

How thrilling. Getting up for a purpose (and not just a "one day" purpose, at that!). Was up and rearing to go this morning. Worked out it only takes 15 mins on the tube, plus 5 mins walking time. Right - if I leave home at 8.20, should give me plenty of time. OR NOT. He who absolutely hates being late, arrived right on 9am! Peak hour traffic on the tubes made it nigh on impossible for someone of my petite stature (haha) to squeeze onto a train! Tomorrow, and in the future, I shall leave earlier. Mind you, that said, the people I needed to see (and who actually knew I was coming today!) weren't in themselves. Slackers ;) Got taken upstairs finally and spent the first hour being shown around and introduced to people (I hope they don't test me on names tomorrow!). Then I find out I'm off to a meeting (which turned out to be four hours straight of meetings!). I have discovered that I will pretty much be taking over from Aidan (eventually) as the administrator for a brand new degree being introduced at the start of the next academic year (September). Quite exciting - and lots of autonomy (to a degree). At the second meeting (the one deciding the procedure for the selection & interview process) they were even asking for MY input. Another wee ego boost for me. Skipped lunch and typed up my notes from the meetings (that will be turned into minutes eventually - good luck to them with my notes; most of them were just getting my head around things). Left at 4pm (since I didn't have a lunch break - they let you do that, so another job with flexi-hours by the sounds of it. I'm going to see if I can start at 8.30 and have a 1/2 hour lunch break and finish at 4pm each day, since I'm only paid 7hrs/day...which is another gripe as it wipes £41/week from my in-hand pay :( ).

Was going to go into Marks & Spencer on the way home, but I just couldn't be arsed at all! Hopefully tomorrow (if not then - HAS to be Weds as will need an iron for a shirt to wear on Thurs!).

The night disappeared replying to emails and chatting to people online (oh, and eventually having dinner & tidying up that mess). I did jump online and buy my tube pass for the week - meant to do that as I left the station but forgot. Doing it online's nice & simple - and they'll email a reminder to me :) Don't think it'll be too hard to get back into a normal working routine again :) S'all.

Seeyabye

No comments: