Friday 16 March 2007

How I found my way out of Mum's womb, I'll never know! (15/3)

...actually, I believe I was a C-section, so I had help! I wonder if all C-section kids are geographically challenged, or just me?

Went exploring today - nothing major, just to see where my interview tomorrow is. I knew where Imperial College was, easy-peasy getting there. Just finding the building. Walked around for what seemed like an eternity looking for this big, glass building (the Alexander Fleming Building). Couldn't find the bugger. Found lots of other glass buildings, just not the one I needed. In the end I did what any normal, lost person would do - asked someone. BIG mistake. The guy started laughing...I was standing right in front of the bloody place. Oh, but wait! It gets better than that. I was standing right beside the sign that said what the building's name was. How red was my face!? This has, however, proven two things. The first, I am definitely geographically challenged! The second, Otago gives degrees out to anyone who wants them - you don't need to be smart to get a degree from there! *sigh* At least I'm seeing the funny side (now!). In my defense, I was told it was a new glass building - and it's really about 10 years old...

Apart from that, what did I do? Anything? Nah. Just wandered around, then came home and pottered on the computer (applied for another couple of jobs). Talked to a bloke about one job I sent a CV in for - he was a bloody weirdo! The job asked for someone with a degree in Education and experience working in higher education. He told me that I didn't have a degree in Education, and working in a school isn't higher education. I was quite rude and stroppy - thanked him for his time and proceeded to ask him what a degree in education *was* because "in a *normal* country, like New Zealand, a BA with a major in Education is still a degree in Education and a Master of Education most definitely is. I'm not even going to pass comment on the fact I'm doing a doctorate in Education. As for working in higher education - what is a university if it's not higher education? Maybe you might like to read people's CVs before you call them. Can I speak to your boss now please?" (that's pretty much word for word - with hardly any pauses for him to chip in). I was so pissed off. His boss came on the line and I politely (this time) explained that I didn't care for being told that a) I didn't have the necessary degree or b) experience in a particular sector when it's clearly written on my CV that I do. The boss was apologetic, then asked if I want to be put forward for the position. "Not if it means dealing with your firm, but thanks anyway." IDIOTS! I don't have time (or patience) for them (ignoring my wee incident finding the building above - that's different...it's always different with me ;) ).

What else did I do? Oh, popped pics of the empty flat in Cumby St online. I miss that place (again, now that I've played with the photos). However, what I don't miss (and am not looking forward to having to deal with again) are all the boxes of shite that are stored at Mums! I told myself as I looked at the pics of it all that I will be as ruthless with chucking out my own stuff as I am with chucking out Mum's stuff...that's the theory anyway. Theory and reality don't always marry up...but this time they might just have to...maybe.

Bee & EP's old flat: devoid of our junk (except my laptop in the lounge)

Wasnt't that another mind-numbing (oh, right - I don't have any problems typing that, but try typing "boring" and I have tonnes!) day?

Seeyabye

No comments: