Tuesday 27 March 2007

Rent day... Can he afford it? (27/3)

The answer to that question is...yes...but also...no. Yes. I can afford to pay rent - but seeing as how the damn money machines won't let me take cash off my credit card, I don't quite have the funds to pay... I have, however, found a saving grace (i.e., money has been borrowed), BUT (yes, I know I have a big butt - get over it, already ;) )...transferring money online obviously takes longer in a more populated country. It was done last night and it's still not in my account. The short version of this sad, pathetic story is that I'm going to be late paying my rent (hopefully only a couple of days late - I'm checking constantly to see I've hit the "magic mark" in my balance and then I'll pay it). Bummer, huh?

In yesterday's entry I mentioned feeling dizzy and having a sore neck. Yeah, well the dizziness returned today (though by lunch it seemed to have vanished, thank God). The sore neck came on again around 3-ish. I think I've worked out what the problem is though. I have a wee feeling I'm coming down with a cold. I think this because my throat sounds a wee bit funny and my lips are drying out and starting to crack (which is usually a sign I've either been out in the wind for too long, or I've got a cold). Oh, and did I mention the whole 'breaking into a sweat just by moving'? Yeah. I noticed yesterday I was a wee bit sweaty, but thought nothing of it (not even when I fell asleep at 7pm last night and woke up a couple of hours later, drenched), but when I got home today I thought it was about time I swept the floor. Before I get to the next bit, I just use a wee hearth brush to do the job - it's really not a big room! Today I had to sit on the floor to do it as the bending down was killing my head. Even sitting on the floor, you should've seen the sweat! I just realised how disgusting this entry is...over it! So, yeah. Dizziness, sore neck, sore throat, sweating, general tiredness all equates to a common cold in my world. Self diagnosis! Who needs those medical doctor-type people? Hmm, prescription? One panadol, three times daily, and keep up the fluid intake. See? Doctor, schmoctor!

I called the recruitment lady back today. She wasn't in. She called me back. I missed the call. I called her back. She was engaged. She called me back...and I answered! (it was on my lunch break). See, this is why people should email me! I'm more likely to be at the other end (okay, so my mobile's in my pocket all day long, I just have the volume turned down at work - which reminds me, funny story about the mobile to come). I said yesterday that it was going to be very ego-boosting for me, and boy was I right! She ranted about how Richard thinks I'm wonderful (I could've told him that if he'd asked!), how he thinks I'm so efficient (gimme a couple of weeks), I'm so polite to people (pleased he didn't see that email I sent to my supervisor then), how the academics think I'm great (well, duh! They're bright people!), how my supervisor can't believe how quickly I've picked everything up (I've picked stuff up? Oh, that pen I dropped - you have to pick them up quickly in this office! I'm now down from five to one!), how I get things done so much quicker than he expects (he really must have low expectations of me), and how he commented that I fit in so well with everyone else in the office (I think he might've meant that the seven of us who went out for lunch on Friday all managed to fit into the booth!). All in all, a very good phone call to receive. Then she asked how I was liking the job. I was honest and up front. Told her I didn't really want to end up working in a university while I was over here, but I was thoroughly enjoying things! Liked the people & the relaxed atmosphere etc. Then she said she'd be calling the boss to give him my feedback. Umm, hello! That wasn't in the contract. Fortunately, her telling me after the fact meant that she could say that I was genuine and not only saying it because it would be fed back to him - which I would've done, had it not been the truth. She now says that she'll leave it for a couple of weeks to see how things are going and if the boss is still as happy with things, then she'll try and push for extra money (or even a longer term contract) - meh, I'll play things by ear.

Work? Yeah, went in. Played. By 1pm I was finished all I could do on the website, so pottered around (until a couple of emails came in - that I *had* to reply to before I left for the day...damn me having to have an empty inbox! It means I work past my finishing hours, which is one bonus of temping...there's a definite quittin' time!).

Now, funny story about the mobile! It's not really that funny, but I've got to wind you in somehow! I don't have an alarm clock so I've been happily using my mobile (which is great 'cos it means I listen to music when I fall asleep and I like that). This morning I think I must've been a wee bit away with the faeries when I woke up. The mobile's alarm went off as normal (a Nickleback song - just so I hear the thing) and bugger me days! It was right beside my ear (not either in my hand or under the pillow where it usually is). I got such a fright I flicked it away from me (the kind of arm flapping motion you do when you're shoo-ing flies and bugs away from your face) and it ended up flying under the wardrobe. Volume was quite loud and I still had no idea what the bloody hell was going on (I wonder now if I even knew where I was!). Eventually got up to it. The song must've been playing for nearly a minute in my ear before I registered it - when I picked the phone up the song had been playing for 1.5 minutes! Loudly! At 6 in the morning! Oops. My bad. Won't happen again (I hope). Anyhow, I sat back down again and dozed off. My whole morning's routine was out of kilter...grrr. Never mind. The day's over now.

Seeyabye

3 comments:

bitemeandsmile said...

Are you feeling better yet? Sucks to be sick. From your symptoms, I wonder if you have air conditioning at work/home? Any how hope you are feeling better! What are your plans for Easter?

EP said...

Yep - them drugs *do* work! Actually, I think it's just run it's course. Still have a bit of a sore neck, but meh, I'm living.

I think there's air con at work. But it could also be to do with being jammed like a sardine in a can in the tube, too. Oh well, no sick days were required (thank God - it wouldn't look none too good).

Plans for Easter? At this stage I have none. Will all depend on the finances at the time. I would like to go abroad soon, but might just look at going somewhere random in England... Only time will tell :)

So, BM&S, thanks for your comment. Shortly I'll try and work out who you are, though I think I know just from the name...there are strange murmurings in my head telling me I should know.

Caffeinated Weka said...

You gotta watch those strange murmurings ... lol.