Wednesday 14 March 2007

Cultured out! (1/3)

Sun was shining when I got up this morning - vast contrast to yesterday! (Although, the wind was bloody cold - went right through you.) Decided that I would go back to the National Gallery and have a look at the Renoir exhibit. Paid the £6 entry (yay for bringing my student ID card with) and wandered around. It was absolutely amazing being in a room (four, actually) with so many brilliant pieces of art (okay, some I didn't think that much of - I wouldn't go as far as to say I could do better as we all know full well that I was born without an artistic bone in my body! - I just didn't like some of them, that's all). There were about 60 works on display and I spent about 2 hours just wandering around looking...thinking how cool it would be to have them in my own private collection (you know the one, the one that I don't have!). After that, I was feeling inspired to look at more, so went downstairs to the 'Manet to Picasso' exhibit. More brilliant works that would look great in my private collection! After about an hour or so, my feet were getting a bit tired so I found the cinema and watched a flick about some of the artists (still in the Manet to Picasso exhibit). That was quite interesting looking at what/who influenced them and such. Manet to Picasso is a freebie (my fav kind), so will no doubt go back to it and take another, more detailed, gander at it. I was going to go to the Transport Museum in Covent Garden, but the wind was a bit cold (I didn't wrap up warm enough today) so jumped on the tube and headed home (via the Internet cafe to get my fix of emails again). It must've sucked in the olden days (y'know, the 80s/early 90s) before the Internet came onto the scene. Email is the bestest way of keeping in touch with people (well, people who have access to the Internet and are willing to use it, unlike a particular mother of mine (who will remain nameless as I'm not into embarrassing people just for the sake of it...most of the time, anyway).

I'm pleased that I did bring my laptop & external hard drive with me. It's meant that I'm never without music! I've even finally figured out how to put music on my mobile! Whoo. Getting very tech-minded now ;) Also pleased that I bought that new phone when I was up north before Christmas. Having the radio function is a godsend when wandering around town. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's better than my ipod, but it's good in that when a call comes in the radio cuts out so I'm not missing any calls (except when Chris rang the other day - but wasn't listening to the radio at the time. I couldn't get the phone out of my pocket and ended up sending her to voicemail...oops).

I reckon that I like my flat, despite the size...and the stairs (though without the suitcases and shite that I bought over with me they're not that bad). The sun is currently shining in on the desk/table/piece of wood affixed to the wall (whatever you want to call it). Isn't it amazing, a place isn't half as bad when the sun shines ;) Nah, the only thing that's really grotting me about it is the squeaky floor. I feel really bad when I'm walking around and standing on the squeaky boards (which, I think I mentioned to someone in an email, seems like every second one!). Once I get over that it'll be right. (I won't mention that the wooden floor bugs me too - but that's only 'cos the dirt's more noticeable on the wood than on the carpet ;) haha). I have taken a couple of pics of the room, so once I get online to put these up (I know, I'm a few days behind already) I'll whack up a couple of pics as well. Oh, I think I've worked out that I'm on the 5th floor of the building. How did I work this out? By counting flights of stairs? Nah. By looking out the window at the houses across the street. These Georgian homes are similar enough that my amazingly brilliant powers of deduction worked that out all on my lonesome. Clever, huh! Alright...no wisecracks from the cheap seats.

Seeyabye

No comments: