Wednesday 14 March 2007

Happy 12th, Samuel (14/3)

Happy birthday Samuel and H E L L O, Internet! (can you guess which gets higher priority - no offence Samuel, but "the Internet"!) I have the Internet at home (okay, this could be a bad image, but picture me jumping up and down like a madman (or a kid who got the bestest Christmas present in the world)). Very. Happy. Indeed. I think I can justify the £30/month - just worked out that I was spending about £15/week at the Internet cafe (what's that? 9-10 hrs/wk - there are cheaper cafes around, but not around the corner!). As a BIG thank you for your patience while I've been eagerly hanging out for first the phone, then the Internet, I'll post the last...dunno, two weeks (?) worth of these entries. I haven't gone back to read through them myself, so apologies if you've just read a whole lot of them and are in the final throes of checking yourself into a looney bin.

One thing I've come to realise very quickly is that I hate not having carpet. No, not to soften noise or anything like that, but it's great at hiding dirt and stuff! The wood laminate floor, being such a light coloured wood too, shows up every tiny little piece of dirt etc that comes into the place. Leaving the window open all the time doesn't help matters any, either. Nor does having feather pillows - how the damn feathers can keep escaping is beyond me. Anyway, the point is I'm sick to death of having to constantly sweep the floor - I quit. There, now you have it.

Ahh - job front is finally starting to look a bit more promising. One firm has two "nearly definites" for me (the data analyst at £12-14/hr for 3 months; and one I've only found out about today (why she was calling yesterday) as a Health & Safety Officer for a local government at £14/hr - ongoing). The crowd I worked for yesterday called back about the job at a university. She said she could definitely get me at least £9.50-10/hr, so I told her about the other two and she's going to go away to see what she can do. Maybe I should've said higher figures instead of the truth...but honesty is the best policy. She thinks the guy at the university will want to snap me up fairly quickly so he may be prepared to pay more (what kind of university is it where they don't have to scrimp & scrounge for money - ahh...turns out it's in a Medical School, not an Education Faculty; that'll explain things ;) ). We shall see what comes. Hopefully either the university one (at a higher pay rate) or the Health & Safety Officer one. They're both "ongoing". The good thing about both (I asked what ongoing actually meant) is that people that've been in the positions previously have all been moved up the food chain in both organisations after spending several months in the job. Sweet (if I want to stay, that is).

Might go up to the Tate this weekend, since it's only around the corner and up the road a wee bit. Also want to go to the Imperial War Museum - apparently they have a replica bomb shelter as a display. That'll be cool to see. It's only Wednesday and here I am organising myself for the weekend. I could go during the week, but not sure what I'm doing (whether I'll have work or not - best to be prepared, just in case).

*UPDATE* Just had a call from the lady with the university job. She's spoken with the guy there and tried to up the hourly rate to £14. Apparently he pretty much laughed at her, but quickly turned around and offered £12 - maybe more. Apparently, having seen my CV (again, I don't think it's very flash) he's keen to get me on the books. Have an interview with him at 10am on Friday. Judy (recruitment lady) said that he may even be prepared to go higher in terms of an hourly rate. Wicked - looks like my plan of being upfront about having other possibilities has paid off. Only thing now is that there's a possible dilemma. Do I take the £12/hr job I could most likely do with my eyes closed...or do I take the £14/hr job that's new to me (and in the "real" world)? Maybe I'm jumping the gun - nothing's set in concrete yet...

I'm still *very* excited about having the Internet that I'm not going to wait until today to finish this entry - I'll post it now (it'd just end up along the lines of, "I spent the night on the Internet emailing and stuff", anyhow). Hope you've enjoyed (for lack of any better, more appropriate words) the last two boring weeks of my life. I will be doing these daily (or a day in arrears - something like that) from now. Oh - next entry will have pics of the flat (just remembered about them).

Seeyabye

No comments: